About “Barbara’s Quilt”
- Maker – Caryl Coss of Venice, Florida
- Professionally quilted by Pat George
Barbara’s Quilt is made from sixteen hand embroidered blocks surrounded by a white border.
The style of the embroidery pattern dates back to the 1930’s. Designs like this were printed or stamped onto plain fabric. The printed squares were sold through popular women’s magazines of the time.
Caryl’s best friend Barbara was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer. Caryl started embroidering the individual blocks while waiting during Barbara’s treatment and doctor appointments. Sadly, Barbara only lived to see two blocks completed.
In memory of her best friend, Caryl finished the quilt with the goal of using it to benefit other cancer patients. She embroidered the other fourteen squares and assembled the quilt top. The beautiful machine quilting by Pat George compliments the heirloom look of this quilt. The embroidery is enhanced with tiny Swarovski crystals.
- This quilt was awarded a blue First Place ribbon at the 2020 Venice Area Quilters Guild Quilt Show.
- The quilt is queen size and measures 80 inches x 80 inches.
- The winning raffle ticket will be drawn on Friday, January 14, 2012 at 3:00 at In the Pink Sarasota.
- $5 per ticket or 5 tickets for $20.
- On display in Jacksonville Beach until the end of September.
- On display in Sarasota from October until the time of the drawing.
Please call for ticket purchases!
904-372-0029 in Jacksonville Beach
941-953-7465 in Sarasota